Thursday, May 28, 2009

Blessed with Appreciation

Appreciation: the recognition and enjoyment of the good qualities in someone or something.

In the past few months, I've felt more appreciated in my work as a coach with the DPHS hurdlers, then I remember in my five years of coaching at the college level. At first, I felt embarrassed that I enjoyed the kind words and expressions of thanks so much. How many of us don't love being appreciated?! It is an awesome feeling knowing that the work you put into something or someone was recognized as valuable. In the opposite sense, how awful do we feel when our hard work and efforts go unrecognized and unappreciated. We ask ourselves, "Why am I doing this if it doesn't even matter to anyone?" Of course as Believers we know that all the work we do must be done unto the Lord not for the praises of men. For if we only do it for the praises of men, we will be sorely disappointed when those words are lacking. But the Lord is so gracious to place people in our lives that express their appreciation for us, that validate the value the Lord sees in us, and provide us with words that encourage and build us up. I appreciate (recognize the value in) being appreciated. Remember to tell those you love how valuable they are in your life. It will surely give them the boost they need to keep pressing forward!

2 comments:

Katee Grace said...

tru dat! :)
fabulous post!
You Rock Jenn Kenyon! :)

~j~ said...

you are loved j.k! I had a hard time finding you among the students in this picture :)))
xo
j