I can't believe today was my last day as a D-1 track coach, at least for this season. You would think that I'd want to go out and celebrate but I can't tell you how excited I was to go home (the Dellar's) and take a nap in the middle of the afternoon. Wow, I defiantly should have put this sweet detour in the middle of an active day on my list of "things I've always wanted to do but never had time". How awesome that the Lord gave us the gift of sleep and rest!? He is so sweet to put in our human bodies the physical need to rest. He must have known that for us, this is the only time we might actually stop to allow Him to speak to us, refresh us or just be with Him.
Rest is such a cool concept. I want to share the definitions of rest that I found.
Rest:
* not move; be in a resting position
* take a short break from one's activities in order to relax
* freedom from activity (work or strain or responsibility)
* a state of inaction
* a perch or sit a support on which things can be put
* a musical notation indicating a silence of a specified duration
The first 4 definitions are what I expected "rest" to be defined as but the last 2 came as a little bit of a surprise. So rest isn't just a time of sitting, sleeping or relaxing it is also a place to be. In addition, it is actually built into all the music we listen to. The Lord! He gives us rest in action, in place and in music!
"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest [yeah, it's totally free]. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me [Jesus rested many times "away from the crowd"], for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." -Matthew 11:28-30
If rest for my body feels so great after an amazing nap, how much better is rest for my soul. May we all learn to truly rest in the resting place He has for us. Amen
2 comments:
it is my prayer that you will be able to allow yourself to rest more in this new phase of your life. you can always rest with me. i am all into naps now with a baby growing inside me. :)
reading this today I am reminded once again that this is what allows us to be used by God so much more effectively, both physically and spiritually. When we rest in HIM in the spiritual, and rest in the natural we truly can do all things through Christ who strengthens us.
Great post Jen. I am so proud of you!! (sorry, can't stop saying that! xxoo
j
Post a Comment