Monday, September 28, 2009

Israel, Week One

Shalom! We left Kona on Saturday, Sept. 19th and arrived in Tel Aviv safely on Monday afternoon, Sept. 19th. Since we were traveling with so many international students (some of which had traveled to Malaysia) we anticipated a bit of a problem. But praise the Lord we had no problems as we entered Israel and passed by the soldiers with the machine guns. It's kind of a weird sight but strangely comforting at the same time. We stayed in Tel Aviv for 2 nights and enjoyed some rest, the beautiful Mediterranean Sea, and about 5 falafals at the "best falafal stand in Israel" according to Steve the owner.


After, a couple days to catch up on sleep we drove to Jerusalem where we are staying now. It is currently the most holy day in the Jewish culture, Yom Kippar. While the streets are usually teeming with life, today they are deserted. It is a day of reflection and the day sins for the year are atoned for by the Lord. It's a sober feeling to be here and observing the traditions but it's awesome to be apart of it. Our time has mainly been spent getting used to life here. Our hostel, in the Jewish Quarter of the old city, has a kitchen that we make our meals in so we have been finding our way to the "Shook" or the market in the Arab Quarter and the Super Market in the new city. We walk everywhere so we are not in need of much exercises apart from walking up and down the Jerusalem hills in the heat. Religion here is the topic of most conversations as we run into people of all backgrounds. Even after beening a Follower of Christ for most of my life, I many times feel I don't have the answers to many questions. I've been able to spend times of prayer at the Western Wall and at the 24/7 House of Prayer overlooking the old city. I know I need to be constantly filled with His peace, comfort and joy especially being this far from my family and friends that encourage me daily. Here are some pictures of our first few days in the Holy City.



Jerusalem is truly amazing. I am so excited to see more of it and to experience life with the people here. The reality of where I am has not quite hit me but I pray that not a day goes by that I don't thank the Lord for using me in the epicenter of the world. Amen.

4 comments:

~j~ said...

Yeah Jen,we pray that the Lord will direct the steps of your team and that love and unity would fill your days as you seek to be obedient to HIS leading. Covering this city in prayer is the single most important thing we can be doing right now, it's awesome you are there to lay hands on the city and it's people to do just that! Thanks for sharing your time!
xo
love j and d

Becky Dellar said...

Amen!
What fun photos!! Yes Peace over the whole team's mind's and heart's. Love you Jenny!! Thanks for the update!

Anonymous said...

Good to see you in the Holy Land! Thanks for the picture update.

I squeezed Grams last night with a hug I think you would be proud of...she laughed.

Love you lots! --Kb

shelly said...

love love love you. thanks for sharing these pics. it brings such a smile to my face that you are there. again i am jealous, wish i was there too, but i am so excited that the Lord has you there. Love the pic of the girls with the military. Made TG look at it ;-) We miss you much but again are so excited to hear how the LORD is going to use you there. xoxo-gibbons fam