Saturday, October 3, 2009

Week 2, Jerusalem

Well, I can safely say that this week was better then last week. It went by faster, which is not necessarily a good thing, but the days seemed to fly because of all we packed into them. I think the hardest thing to get used to in this city is the time we have to rest. Today is another Shabbot, or sabbath rest day, so most everything is closed forcing us too to take a break. It is good but I definitely have the urge to get out and see this amazing city. Here are the highlights of this week.Yom Kippar Day our team spent the afternoon in the park, doing a bible study. Then strolled around the empty streets of the city before having dinner at our favorite cafe. It was a great time of getting to know one another more and to talk about our experiences so far. It was a breakthrough day of sorts. Up until this day, we had all felt a little disconnected as a group, doing many things in smaller cliques and not as a group. This day definitely set us up for a great week!




I've really enjoyed my time one on one with Haley and Elisabeth this week. First, Elisabeth and I had an amazing dessert at a cafe I'd visited before. Nothing like a little chocalate cake and coffee to bond two girls! Later in the week, Haley and I explored a bit, finding the road through the Kidron Valley to the Garden of Gethsemane (which was closed). However, we discovered this cute cafe outside the gate where we sat had a coke and a bible study. It was amazing! I so love my time alone with the girls. We don't often go out without one of the guys with us for safety reasons. So it is a real treat to have an afternoon with just us girls.


Even with all this, there are two more highlights for the week. First, was our two visits to the Shuk, a huge outdoor market where we can get everything we need for our team meals including fresh produce, meat and pita right out of the oven for 10 shekles (about $2.50). I love this place! Then, of course, our time at the Anglican International School has been a real treat. It is an english speaking school, which makes it a nice break from the culture shock we get walking the streets of Jerusalem. I get to help in Jill Stubb's kindergarten class. She is a current member of our church in Carpineria.

Well, that;s about it for week two. I love and miss you all. It will be a long trip but I pray that the Lord uses me for His glory. Shabbot Shalom, Jenny

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds amazing!! Praying for some divine appts with the people. Love you and miss you much!
shelsg

Becky Dellar said...

love see you in all these pictures! and so glad you had one on one time, I know that is such an answer to prayer for Unity!
So, I scrolled down and saw the list you have of "This I have always wanted to do, but never had time" and saw that you listed: Go to as many Farmer's Markets as possible.
...and that includes ones in Jerusalem! :) I thought that was awesome. The Lord, giving you above and beyond what was ever expected!!
love you - becky

Lauri Allison said...

So I am very very excited to follow this blog. So encouraging. I love that you were so brave in taking the step out of what was comfortable... what a reward you got! Miss you coach...

~j~ said...

Hi Jen...

all I can say is wow! each e mail update and blog entry are greatly appreciated and so encouraging. I really, really hope you are still in that place of being overwhelmed and in awe of where God has brought you how HE doe hear the longings of your heart as it is certainly evident by what HE has you doing on this outreach!
Glory to HIS name!
peace to your heart Jen,
xo
j