"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders,...and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." -Hebrews 12:1
Saturday, November 1, 2008
La Colina Lions take Second!
Sometime, while we try to run away from one career, the Lord, provides other unexpected opportunities to use the gifts He's given us. This Fall I had the opportunity (although, I'll be honest and say at first I considered it an obligation) to coach nine cross country runners at La Colina Junior High. What I thought was going to be a one hour commitment one time, morphed into two hours once a week of volunteer coaching over eight weeks. It's a culture shock to go from coaching college athletes who need to know your former experience and education and the research you found to back up your workout philosophy to coaching sixth and seventh graders who have never heard of a heptathlon nor care if you went to the last USTFCCCA convention to hear the latest research. While it was humbling at times, it was also extremely refreshing. I know that I have been striving to "just be jenny" and not to be defined as a coach or an athlete; but although I was coaching, the La Colina Lions' allowed me to coach them without having to put on the "coach" persona.
Our cross country season ended last Thursday with a finally at Elings Park. The runners competed in the 2 mile Junior High Cross Country Championship race. Although the Lions were the smallest team both in numbers and stature, as a team they finished in second place. Nathan, my most recent recruit, won the race for the boys. Our first finisher for the girls was Kim, the smallest runner on the team. Unfortunately she was beat by an enormous eighth grader. Don't worry, give her a few years and she'll beat those big girls! After the race, the placers were given awards and everyone received ice cream cones. I can honestly tell you I don't remember when I enjoyed a meet more. These kids were awesome and appreciated all the help provided. In addition, they truly had fun and the joy was evident on their faces.
Thank you Lord for humbling us and bringing us back to reality.
Go Lions!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
ah! so cool!!! :) :)
oh Jen... this just made me cry it is so beautiful. your little team placing second!! for them that was like placing first!! :)) you know what i mean! way to go, would love to have been there but maybe next year ;) lol
xoxo
julia
Wow...Jenny...I had no idea you were volunteering two hours a week for a junior high cross county team. Very cool!
Post a Comment